Monroe County Live
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss everything dealing with Monroe County, Illinois.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who was Hecker?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
telegraph.hill

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-02-24

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 2:18 pm

I know that Hecker is named after a famous man of the same name. Can somebody tell me what Hecker was famous for? Was he a one time resident of Hecker?
Back to top Go down
Orion972

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-02-27

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 12:31 pm

I believe Hecker was a General who settled with his family in what was known as Freedom. Freedom was later re-named Hecker in his honor.

I think the Hecker Library has more information on him and the history of the town.
Back to top Go down
mhemmer

Number of posts : 20

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 12:11 am

Oh come on Orion! Like you know what a library is!

Seriously I can ask some historical people I know...
Back to top Go down
http://www.columbiaillinois.com
Orion972

Number of posts : 11

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 9:38 am

LOL Good one M! :-)

Historical like yourself? ;-)
Back to top Go down
good-dog

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:21 am

Hecker was a German revolutionary in the early 1800s. He was forced to leave the region with his family and supporters after the revolution failed. Many of the German families to first come to Monroe County came after these failed revolts.
It is my understanding that Hecker is still thought of highly in regions of Germany because his revolutionary ideas did eventually prevail. I know there are German drinking songs that are about him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Who was Hecker? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who was Hecker?   Who was Hecker? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who was Hecker?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Monroe County Live :: Town Talk :: Hecker-
Jump to: